“We’re taking the strongest step in Canadian history to move forward on tougher gun legislation.”
—Justin Trudeau, Liberal Party of Canada Candidate for Prime Minister, 01 October 2019 (Election Campaign Speech)
What’s on This Page?
Jump to Our Detailed Web Pages and Reports
See a Mistake or Have a Suggestion?
Immediate Threat: Expanded Rifle and Shotgun Confiscations
- The Liberals are working to prohibit and confiscate all rifles and shotguns with these three qualities:
- mag-fed (detachable mags)
- They are drafting regulations to order the confiscations by an executive decree known as an “order in council” (OiC).
- Initially, they had planned to require the confiscations via Bill C-21 Amendment G-4 (g), which proposed to expand the definition of “Prohibited” firearm to the following:
- “a firearm that is a rifle or shotgun, that is capable of discharging centre-fire ammunition in a semi-automatic manner and that is designed to accept a detachable cartridge magazine with a capacity greater than five cartridges of the type for which the firearm was originally designed,”
- Although the draft amendment was abandoned in February 2023, it shows what the Liberals intend.
- More Info: Bill C-21: Liberals Plan New Amendment With Definition of Guns to Confiscate
Policy Summary Table
You May Also Like
Overview — Key Points
Trudeau Will Fail Under Massive and Growing Opposition
Violations of Ethics, Justice, Governance
Stop the Confiscation Order
Dishonesty & Disinformation
Today, we are closing the market for military-grade assault weapons in Canada.
These weapons were designed for one purpose, and one purpose only: to kill the largest number of people in the shortest amount of time.
So, effective immediately, it is no longer permitted to buy, sell, transport, import, or use military-grade assault weapons in this country.
Source: Justin Trudeau, Media Briefing via CPAC TV on YouTube, 01 May 2020
Assault-style rifles are military weapons designed to hunt people, and not animals, in the most efficient manner possible that maximizes the body count at minimum effort.
These weapons are for use in the battlefield, but too often they have been brought into our communities and used to target and kill law enforcement, women, members of the LGBTQ2S community, religious observers and children doing nothing more than attending class.
There is no option that will be discounted and all possibilities will be considered.
Source: Office of Minister Bill Blair, Quoted by The Canadian Press, 30 May 2019.