- My personal project, a blend of hobby, passion and mission.
- Independent. (See disclosures below.)
- Canada’s leading source of information and commentary on firearm politics, policy and industry. (Occasional product scoops like this one, but no product reviews.)
- Canada’s largest community of shooters on Twitter via @TheGunBlog.
TheGunBlog.ca inspires, informs and makes change happen.
- RCMP Website on Bill C-71
- RCMP Corrects Website to Say We Can Buy Guns Without Showing PAL
- The Bill C-71 Book was shared by the Ministry of Public Safety, distributed to Members of Parliament and Senators, …
- Three Top Cops Don’t Support Banning Guns From Lawful Owners: Many individuals and media took their lead from this article, e.g. NRA TV, Members of Parliament, Twitter, …
- Shooting is “More Canadian Than Hockey:” More adults have a PAL than play hockey. Keep your eyes open for this idea, identified by TheGunBlog.ca. It’s catching on.
TheGunBlog.ca Is Trusted and Quoted.
Canada’s House of Commons
- Debate on Bill C-71
- Questions about RCMP keeping data it said was deleted.
- CBC Radio Saskatchewan: Blue Sky
- The Canadian Press via
- CityNews Toronto: Gun Policy a Stand-In for Other Issues in Crowded Conservative Leadership Race
- CTV News: Gun-Rights Advocates React to Toronto’s Call for a Handgun Ban
- Global News: Gun Policy a Stand-In for Other Issues in Crowded Conservative Leadership Race
- The Globe and Mail: Call for Toronto handgun ban reignites passionate gun control debate
- National Post: Call for Toronto handgun ban reignites passionate gun control debate
- Red Deer Advocate: Call for Toronto handgun ban reignites passionate gun control debate
- Toronto Star: Call for Toronto handgun ban after Danforth shooting reignites passionate gun control debate
- Winnipeg Free Press: Call for Toronto handgun ban reignites passionate gun control debate
- CityNews Toronto
- The Daily Caller
- Saskatoon Star-Phoenix
- Toronto Star
- The Firearm Blog: You Will Soon Be Able to Own The C-19 Canadian Ranger Rifle – Tikka Introduces the “Arctic”
- Guns.com: Shooters in Toronto Hungry for New Range
- Calibre Magazine
- Canadian Shooting Sports Association E-News
- Chat Groups: Canadian Gun Nutz, Gun Owners of Canada, Glock Talk, Army.ca, Navy.ca, Nova Scotia Hunting, Outdoors Men Forum, …
Lady Gaga Fan Sites (Seriously!)
Original Introduction (January 2015)
TheGunBlog.ca aims to be a hub for information, facts, data, news, analysis and opinion for anyone and everyone wanting to learn about guns in Canada. It seeks to be thoughtful, fair, balanced and fun.
Whether you love guns or hate them or are in between, whether you are a novice or expert with firearms, whether you want to learn about guns for collecting, hunting, competing, relaxing, training, writing, photographing, defence, war, work, fun, as a hobby or lifestyle, or anything else, TheGunBlog.ca aims to serve you.
If you like this blog, please share it with people who might enjoy it.
Thank you for visiting.
04 January 2015
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
About the Editor
- Has been into guns since he was a boy.
- Enjoys handguns, rifles and shotguns.
- Supports freedom and rights of people to own and use firearms for protection, hunting, recreation, competition and collecting.
- Has a particular interest in politics, policy and personal protection.
- Says: The most important part of gun rights isn’t “gun,” it’s “rights.”
- Is closer to believing that firearm ownership and training should be mandatory than to believing it should be prohibited. (But dislikes “mandatory” anything.)
- Current or past member of CCFR, CSSA, NFA, ORA in Canada, and NRA in U.S. (See below.)
- Certified range-safety officer
- NRA certified instructor
- Previous career: Senior editor for a major global provider of real-time news on finance, investing and business. Once ran as a political candidate.
This Update: 27 July 2018
Alignment of Interests, Independence, Standards
- My goal is to advance the interests of the shooting community with good information and data. That includes individuals, businesses, associations, clubs, ranges, trainers, instructors, etc. The way I see it, we all rise together or we all sink together. I want us to rise.
- I am a past, present or future customer or member of many of the businesses, associations and political parties that I write about, e.g. gun stores, manufacturers, clubs, trainers, ranges, CSSA, CCFR, NFA, NRA, Conservative Party of Canada, Ontario Progressive Conservative Party, …
- I decide what gets published, nobody else. I have preferred products, but I don’t run paid ads or marketing materials disguised as regular articles.
- I am committed to independence, accuracy, credibility, fairness, transparency, accountability, and other values of journalism ethics.
Payments and Donations
- I solicit donations.
- I receive payments and donations from individuals, businesses, associations, etc. that I write about. In most cases, I don’t know or verify the identity of donors.
- I earn a commission from the Store.
- I get paid as an independent consultant, contractor and freelancer. My clients range from education to marketing to financial services and technology. Please contact me here.
Role as Media
- I benefit from advantages generally accorded to media, such as invitations and permissions to attend private events. These include trade shows, factory tours and range events that offer the use of guns and ammo without charge, or for a small fee, and may include meals.
- I don’t have any direct financial stake or financial interest in any company, association or topic that I cover.
- I am a past, present or future member of political parties.
- I have accepted standard trade-show swag, such as pens, keychains, coffee mugs, a book and a paper target.
Privacy & Security
- I value personal privacy and information security. (In general, and especially considering what we’re dealing with here.)
- If you e-mail me, I won’t share your identity without your permission. (See below for Reader Testimonials with first name only, unless it was public.)
- I will never share subscriber information with a third party, will never sell or abuse your information. In most cases, I will never ask for your information.
- I use subscriber information to share content relevant and related to TheGunBlog.ca, such as e-mail alerts about new posts or campaigns.
- I recognize that risks always exist, and I use third-party software (e.g. Gmail, GiveWP, MailChimp, Paypal, Stripe, WordPress, several WordPress plugins, …) to manage subscriptions and publish.
Subscribing & Unsubscribing
- Enter your e-mail in the subscription box.
- MailChimp (my mailing list software) will send you an automatic e-mail to confirm your subscription. (Check your Spam folder.)
- You can unsubscribe at any time.
By hunters, farmers, collectors, recreational shooters, competitors, industry executives, government employees, and others:
“Thanks for all your great work. I’m very happy to pay for the service you provide, it’s well worth it.” — Bryan
“just donated. keep up the good work.” — William
“Thank you for your work to support the interests of law-abiding gun owners.” — Devin
“I am a hunter, farmer and target shooter. Enjoy your posts.” — Alton
“I’ve been following your blog for a few months and wanted to compliment you on your clear concise and informative articles. It is a welcome change from the uninformed crowd hysteria in most social media. Keep up the great work.” — Terry
“Many thanks to you for running your blog.” — Brian
“Merci pour ton travail. J’apprécie tous les articles que tu écris.” (“Thank you for your work. I appreciate all the articles you write.”) — Reader on CanadianGunNutz
“Thanks for running this blog. It is a needed site for gun owners.” — William, British Columbia
“Thank you for the part you are playing with the blog and keeping us up to date on the issues affecting this great sport and hobby we all share.” — Ian, Quebec
“Keep doing the wonderful job you are doing and know you have my support. — Frank
“Thank you for your work.” — Doug
“Thanks for putting out great content.” — Stephen
“I appreciate your coverage of important issues.” — Lynda Kiejko, Olympic Shooter, Alberta
Thanks! I appreciate your coverage of important issues!
— Lynda Kiejko (@Cdnshootingstar) March 9, 2018
“Thanks for everything you are doing to keep lawful firearms owners appraised.” — Stan
“Keep up the good work.” — Anton
“Thanks for all your hard work.” — Richard
“Keep up the great work!” — Eric
“Thank you for the spectacular work you’ve been doing on behalf of Canadian firearm owners.” — Mohamad
“Thanks for all you do.” — Brian
“TheGunBlog.ca does a great job for law-abiding firearm owners.” — Ron
”Great site!” — Elisa
“I would like to say how much I appreciate all the hard work that goes into TheGunBlog. It keeps us informed and I really appreciate the government contact information included.” — Randy
“Thank you so much for this blog!” — Michael
“What you are doing is unbelievably important to firearms community members and the cause at hand.” — Anthony
“You are doing a great job for all of the Canadian gun owners. Thanks so much.” — Gerry, British Columbia
“I just wanted to say how much I appreciate you keeping us subscribers up to date. Thanks for all you do!” — Linda
“Appreciate your passion and ongoing direction in support of the industry at large.” — George
“I am happy to endorse the Gun Blog as one of the best online sources of news and information for the Canadian firearms enthusiast. Glad I found it recently.” — James Taylor, Alberta
“Agree! A great job and service to Canadian gun owners is being done there.” — On Target Canada
“Thank you Nicolas for the support and promotion of our sport! … The work you’re doing is more important now than ever.” — Allan
“I appreciate your professional efforts on behalf of the community and industry. Thanks for the information you provide.” — James
“I appreciate your work and common sense. … Hang in there.” — Bryan
“Thank you for all the hard work you do, I live in Halifax and own several handguns and an SKS and I am worried they are going to try and confiscate guns here too.” — Steve
“I personally would like to thank you for all of the hard work that you put into this. Your blog is a great one-stop shop for information. I will be donating today.” — Stefan, Ontario
“Awesome work, brother!” — Kevin
“I like what you are doing.” — John
“Your blog is very informative and a fine public service.” — Richard, British Columbia
“Thank you for the great work you do. It is much appreciated.” — Ben
“You are doing stellar work getting the word out, I thank you, sir.” — Gerry, British Columbia