Leader. TheGunBlog.ca is Canada’s leading source of news, analysis and commentary about gun rights, gun politics, the firearm industry and related subjects. (Occasional scoops on product news, but no product reviews.)
Political. TheGunBlog.ca starts from the perspective that the most important part of gun rights isn’t “gun,” it’s “rights.” TheGunBlog.ca vigourously promotes the legal right to use firearms for any legitimate purpose.
Trusted. TheGunBlog.ca is a trusted source of information by everyone from top executives in the firearm industry and advocacy groups to trainers/instructors and shooting-club presidents to individual shooters and hunters to hobbyists looking to get a gun licence. It’s also read by officials in government and federal agencies.
Independent. TheGunBlog.ca remains largely a one-man show, allowing for independence, flexibility and creativity. (See disclosures below.)
Exclusive. TheGunBlog.ca publishes original and exclusive content that is unavailable anywhere else.
Professional. TheGunBlog.ca is produced by a former editor of one of the world’s leading media companies. Its reputation for credibility stems from its commitment to the highest standards of journalistic integrity, accuracy, fairness and transparency.
TheGunBlog.ca aims to be a hub for information, facts, data, news, analysis and opinion for anyone and everyone wanting to learn about guns in Canada. It seeks to be thoughtful, fair, balanced and fun.
Whether you love guns or hate them or are in between, whether you are a novice or expert with firearms, whether you want to learn about guns for collecting, hunting, competing, relaxing, training, writing, photographing, defence, war, work, fun, as a hobby or lifestyle, or anything else, TheGunBlog.ca aims to serve you.
If you like this blog, please share it with people who might enjoy it.
Thank you for visiting.
04 January 2015
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
- Have been into guns since I was a boy.
- Enjoy handguns, rifles and shotguns.
- Support freedom and rights of people to own and use firearms for protection, hunting, recreation, competition and collecting.
- Particular interest in politics, policy and personal protection.
- The most important part of gun rights is “rights.”
- Am closer to believing that firearm ownership and training should be mandatory than to believing it should be prohibited. (But I dislike “mandatory” anything.)
- Current or past member of CCFR, CSSA, NFA, ORA in Canada, and NRA in U.S. (See below.)
- Certified range-safety officer
- NRA certified instructor
- Previously: Senior editor for a major global provider of real-time news on finance, investing and business.
This Update: 18 March 2018
Intentions, Benefits & Conflicts
- This website is independent. I decide what gets published. Nobody else.
- I pay all direct and indirect costs associated with this website.
- I am exploring ways to make money from this website, such as the Store, and welcome any help.
- I am a past, present or future customer or member of many of the companies and organizations I write about, e.g. gun stores, clubs, trainers, ranges, CSSA, CCFR, NFA, NRA.
- I benefit from advantages generally accorded to media, such as invitations or permission to attend private events. These include trade shows and range events that offer participants the use of guns and ammo without charge, or for a small fee, and may include meals.
- I don’t have any direct financial stake or financial interest in any company, organization or topic that I cover. No freebies, no discounts, no kickbacks, no profit sharing, no commissions, no donations. TheGunBlog.ca earns a small percentage of revenue from purchases made via the Store.
- I have accepted standard trade-show swag, such as pens, keychains, coffee mugs, a book and a paper target.
Privacy & Security
- I value personal privacy and data security. (In general, and especially considering what we’re dealing with here.)
- I will never share subscriber information with a third party.
- I do use subscriber information to share content relevant and related to TheGunBlog.ca, such as e-mail alerts about new posts or campaigns.
- I may enter subscriber data into apps (e.g. Excel, Mailchimp) to manage subscriptions.
Subscribing & Unsubscribing
- Enter your e-mail in the subscription box.
- MailChimp (my mailing list manager) will send you an automatic e-mail to confirm your subscription. (Check your Spam folder.)
- You can unsubscribe at any time.
“Thank you for your work to support the interests of law-abiding gun owners.” — Devin
“I am a hunter, farmer and target shooter. Enjoy your posts.” — Alton
“I’ve been following your blog for a few months and wanted to compliment you on your clear concise and informative articles. It is a welcome change from the uninformed crowd hysteria in most social media. Keep up the great work.” — Terry
“Many thanks to you for running your blog.” — Brian
“Merci pour ton travail. J’apprécie tous les articles que tu écris.” (“Thank you for your work. I appreciate all the articles you write.”) — Reader on CanadianGunNutz
“Thanks for running this blog. It is a needed site for gun owners.” — William, British Columbia
“Thank you for the part you are playing with the blog and keeping us up to date on the issues affecting this great sport and hobby we all share.” — Ian, Quebec
“Keep doing the wonderful job you are doing and know you have my support. — Frank
“Thank you for your work.” — Doug
“Thanks for putting out great content.” — Stephen
“I appreciate your coverage of important issues.” — Lynda Kiejko, Olympic Shooter, Alberta
Thanks! I appreciate your coverage of important issues!
— Lynda Kiejko (@Cdnshootingstar) March 9, 2018
“Thanks for everything you are doing to keep lawful firearms owners appraised.” — Stan
“Keep up the good work.” — Anton
“Thanks for all your hard work.” — Richard
“Keep up the great work!” — Eric
“Thank you for the spectacular work you’ve been doing on behalf of Canadian firearm owners.” — Mohamad
“Thanks for all you do.” — Brian
“TheGunBlog.ca does a great job for law-abiding firearm owners.” — Ron
”Great site!” — Elisa
“I would like to say how much I appreciate all the hard work that goes into TheGunBlog. It keeps us informed and I really appreciate the government contact information included.” — Randy
“Thank you so much for this blog!” — Michael