- September 27: Adds Mendicino’s Letter to Shandro.
- September 28: Adds Shandro’s Twitter response to Mendicino’s response.
TheGunBlog.ca — Alberta said it will block Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s plan to use the RCMP as gun-confiscation agents against honest citizens, the newest sign that Trudeau’s political attacks begun in May 2020 will fail.
Alberta Minister of Justice Tyler Shandro said today he will ask the RCMP commander for Alberta to refuse Trudeau’s confiscation orders. Alberta hired the RCMP to keep people safe, not to harass them and seize their goods.
The province also aims to support six groups of gun owners and businesses in Federal Court challenging Trudeau’s crackdown.
‘Politically Motivated Confiscation’
“Alberta’s government has been advised that the RCMP will be deployed to confiscate firearms under the ‘buyback’ program,” the province said today in a press release.
“This is politically motivated confiscation, pure and simple,” Shandro said at a media briefing. “No, Alberta will not assist the federal government in this or any federal effort to strip lawfully obtained personal property from our residents.”
Watch the 23-minute briefing. You’ll also hear the media’s anti-gun bias during the Q&A.
Why It Matters
- Alberta is one of Canada’s strongest defenders against Trudeau’s assault, and is inspiring people across the country.
- Shandro’s comments show Trudeau still has no idea how to execute his mass-confiscation fantasy targeting hundreds of thousands of government-licensed gun owners and businesses, most of whom intend to opt out.
- The crackdown faces massive opposition from the public, provinces and police, plus huge political, financial and logistical obstacles, and will fail.
Liberals Flip-Flop on Police
Even though the Royal Canadian Mounted Police worked in secret with Trudeau’s Liberal Party to prepare the attacks unleashed on 01 May 2020, the Liberals had said they wouldn’t use police to run the seizures.
The RCMP labor union itself opposes the crackdown.
Shandro said today that Marco Mendicino, Trudeau’s minister in charge of the assault, wrote last month asking for Alberta’s help to suppress honest residents and ramp-up seizing their suddenly blacklisted property by the end of the year.
Scapegoating Sets ‘Disturbing Precedent’
Alberta Chief Firearms Officer Teri Bryant said at today’s briefing:
“All Canadians, whether firearms owners or not, should be concerned by the scapegoating of law-abiding citizens and the targeting of their property, which sets a disturbing precedent, and by the misuse of billions of precious taxpayer dollars that these plans would entail.”
Update September 28
1. Mendicino’s Letter to Shandro
Source: Tyler Shandro on Twitter