Ministry Says It’s Revising Bid for Confiscation Work After Failed Tender
Ministry of Public Safety says it still aims to pay victims of its gun confiscations, after canceling call for bids to design them.
28 September 2020
2 min read
TheGunBlog.ca — Canada’s governing Liberal Party will pursue plans to pay the victims of its mass gun confiscations, after its first attempt at hiring a contractor to design the seizures failed.
No ‘Successful Bidder’
The Ministry of Public Safety, which is overseeing the confiscations, is revising its call for bids to develop what it calls a “buyback” after the first one “did not yield to the selection of a successful bidder,” Tim Warmington, a spokesman for the ministry in Ottawa, told TheGunBlog.ca today by e-mail in response to our questions.
Canceled Tender Notice
Speculation the Liberals had dropped the payoff plan rose last week after they canceled their invitation to bid for the confiscation contract.
Ministry Response in Full
Full response to questions from TheGunBlog.ca by Tim Warmington, a spokesman for the Ministry of Public Safety:
The Government of Canada’s top priority is protecting the safety and security of Canadians. Our government remains committed to implementing a buyback program as soon as possible. The bid evaluation process did not yield to the selection of a successful bidder. A revised Request for Proposal will be introduced in the near future that is reflective of the feedback that we have received from the industry. This will work towards ensuring that we have the work product we need to design the best buyback that ensures that affected owners and businesses are compensated fairly and implementation costs are well priced and sustainable.
We remain committed to introducing a buyback program during the amnesty period. We continue to look at a range of options and will work with the provinces, territories and First Nations to get this right for law-abiding gun owners and businesses.Ministry of Public Safety, Response to TheGunBlog.ca, 28 September 2020
Context and Background
The Liberal attack against federally licensed firearm owners and businesses is one of the biggest crackdowns against honest citizens by any democracy in history.
It targets potentially hundreds of thousands of individuals and businesses, and will cost hundreds of millions or billions of dollars to develop, administer, execute and prosecute owners who don’t participate.
The government launched the attack in the middle of the day on May 1 without warning after drafting the plans in secret with the federal police.
Gun owners face jail if they buy, sell, move or use any of their newly blacklisted rifles and shotguns. They also face prison unless they surrender the hardware to police by 30 April 2022.
Six court cases have been filed in Federal Court and at least one in Alberta court to block the assault.
© 2015 - 2021 TheGunBlog.ca