Liberals Refuse Federal Court Order to Give Evidence for May 2020 Attacks
16 June 2021
2 min read
TheGunBlog.ca — Canada’s Liberal Party-led government refused a Federal Court order to produce the evidence that led to its political attacks begun in May 2020 against gun owners.
Hidden Under Section 39
The Clerk of the Privy Council, the most-senior government employee and a top adviser to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, used Section 39 of the Canada Evidence Act to keep e-mails, memos and notes hidden from the court and the public.
- A Federal Court judge on May 27 gave the government 30 days to produce all documents related to its crackdown.
- The Clerk of the Privy Council, Janice Charette, signed the Section 39 certificate on June 14.
Disclosure ‘Shall Be Refused’
“As a result of the certification by the Clerk, pursuant to s. 39, ‘disclosure of the information shall be refused without examination or hearing of the information by the court,’” government lawyers told the Federal Court yesterday.
“The attached s. 39 certificate is an absolute bar to filing with the Court under seal the information encompassed by the Order.”
Criminalize and Confiscate
The refusal is the Liberals’ latest obstruction tactic as they push ahead with their May 2020 Order in Council (OIC) that criminalized honest citizens and ordered the confiscation of suddenly blacklisted rifles and shotguns.
- The Liberals, in coordination with the RCMP, directly targeted roughly 10% of Canada’s 2.2 million government-licensed firearm users, part of their broader program to suppress personal gun ownership.
- TheGunBlog.ca isn’t aware of anyone who intends to surrender their goods. Several provinces are working to block the attacks.
- Six groups of gun owners and businesses applied to the Federal Court to stop the crackdown for being abusive, illegal and unconstitutional.
- A hearing has yet to be scheduled.
- The Liberal attacks and their actions in this case have eroded trust in government, the RCMP, and the courts.
‘Uncharted Legal Territory’
“This is uncharted legal territory, and I mean unprecedented — I can’t find anything like this in our history,” Christine Generoux, one of the gun owners in Federal Court, told TheGunBlog.ca. “It’s become an illegal star chamber. They are trying to disobey the judge’s order. If they could get a certificate, why did we have to wait a year!?”
Generoux, who is representing herself and two associates in court, is seeking donations to cover their costs. (We’ve donated.)
What the Evidence May Show
- The political and ideological motivations for the Liberal attacks on honest Canadians.
- Why the Liberals developed the crackdown in secret and hid their plans from parliament and the public.
- How the Royal Canadian Mounted Police supported the attacks, in particular the role of Murray Smith.
- The cost of the crackdown, estimated at hundreds of millions or billions of tax dollars.
- How the Liberals and RCMP invented the tactic of “nullifying” firearm-registration certificates to criminalize lawful owners.
Government’s June 15 Letter to Federal CourtLetter-to-FC-re-s.39-certificate-final-1
Federal Court Cases: Summary Table
|Court Number||Date Filed (2020)||Lead Party||Lead Lawyer|
|T-569-20||May 21||Cassandra Parker||Solomon Friedman|
|T-577-20||May 26||CCFR||Michael Loberg|
|T-581-20||May 27||John Hipwell||Edward Burlew|
|T-677-20||Jun 29||Michael Doherty||Arkadi Bouchelev|
|T-735-20||Jul 10||Christine Generoux||Christine Generoux|
|T-905-20||Aug 11||Jennifer Eichenberg||Eugene Meehan|
© 2015 - 2021 TheGunBlog.ca