Liberals May Order Gun Prohibitions This Week, CBC Reports
Ban includes AR-15, AR-10, Mini-14, Vz. 58, M14, Robinson XCR, .50 BMG, and guns that “use the same platforms.”
29 Apr 2020
3 min read
(Correction April 30: Corrects list of guns. Updates models and details, adds Trudeau comment.)
Newest update: April 30 at 23:20 Toronto time.
TheGunBlog.ca — Canada’s governing Liberal Party may order new gun prohibitions this week as the first step in its mass confiscations against hunters, farmers, sport shooters and collectors, CBC News reported.
TheGunBlog.ca estimates banning the 125,000 rifles and carbines named in this first wave of planned seizures will wipe out some $400 million invested in firearms and accessories.
Ban List Via CBC
CBC said the Liberals will start by targeting owners of the following (estimated ownership in parenthesis):
- AR-15, M4, M16, AR-10 (83,572)
- Beretta CX4 Storm (1,513)
- CSA Vz. 58 (11,593)
- CZ Scorpion Evo 3 (1,813)
- Robinson Armament XCR (1,834)
- Ruger Mini-14 (16,859)
- SIG Sauer MCX and MPX (1,000)
- Springfield Armory M14 (5,229)
- Swiss Arms Classic Green (1,342)
Unknown: Other models
Plus owners of firearms with:
- Muzzle energy exceeding 10,000 joules (e.g., .50 BMG)
- Calibre exceeding 20 mm
More Details From CBC
- The Liberals will make it a crime to buy, sell or import any of the models. The order to surrender the guns will come later.
- NEW — Update April 30: Owners may be allowed to delay confiscation until death, what some people call “grandfathering.” (The Globe and Mail expanded on this.)
- Minister of Public Safety Bill Blair sent the ban list to Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, who may approve it as early as today.
- The prohibition order could be published May 1 in the Canada Gazette, the official government newsletter.
- The order will be an Order in Council, a cabinet directive used mainly for administrative formalities and staffing changes.
- Some ownership estimates are based on registered ownership in 2012 plus 25%.
- Source: CBC original report in French, Translation in English. CBC updated its reports with the list of models late on April 29.
‘Same Platforms’ = ‘Same Mags’?
“Firearms that use the same platforms” as the named models are also being banned, the Globe reported late tonight.
It’s unknown if that covers every semi-automatic rifle that uses the same ammunition magazines as the listed firearms, such as the CZ 858, BCL-102, Springfield M1A, Tavor and WK180-C.
Does 'Same Platform' = 'Same Mag'?
The Globe and Mail's scoop last night on the gun bans said: "firearms that use the same platforms" as those on the list are also banned.
If so (a big IF):
– AR-15 + Tavor, WK180-C
– AR-10 + BCL-102
– Vz. 58 + CZ 858
– M14 + M1A, M-105
– etc. pic.twitter.com/AMAj1AHIev
— TheGunBlog (@TheGunBlog) April 30, 2020
Trudeau to Ban ‘In Coming Days’
Update April 30: “We will have more to say on this when we make an announcement around what we’re doing to strengthen gun control in the coming days,” Trudeau said April 30 at a media briefing, answering a question from CBC about his plans.
More Canadian Than Hockey
Hunting and shooting are at the heart of Canadian culture, heritage and the economy.
- More adults have a firearm licence than play golf, hockey or soccer.
- Millions of unlicensed family and friends of all ages also hunt and shoot safely and responsibly under the control of permit holders.
- Hunting and sport shooting contribute billions of dollars to the economy every year.
- The firearm industry employs almost 50,000 people.
Context: What We Knew Before
- Promised in the 2019 election to target honest Canadians for mass gun confiscations.
- Are punishing only the 2.2 million adults with a firearm Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL). Owners without a licence are exempt from the new crackdown.
- Many of the rifles to be banned are legally classified as “Non-restricted.”
- The prohibition order is the first stage, before a future order for forced firearm surrender. The Liberals will offer to pay off confiscation victims.
- Are preparing the national confiscation of 250,000 rifles and the municipal confiscation of all 1 million registered handguns at a cost of billions of dollars to taxpayers.
Liberals Want Honest Gun Owners Gone
Liberal Party supporters are using this month’s Nova Scotia attack to flood MPs and mass media to demand immediate and sweeping gun bans against honest citizens.
Gun owners, who face jail unless they submit to the plans, are looking for ways to protect their property and their rights.
Take Action: E-Mail Your MP Today
To: Your MP (Find your MP)
BCC (Optional): [email protected]
Subject: Opposition to Gun Confiscations
Thank you for your commitment to our riding.
I am writing to oppose any illegitimate restrictions against good Canadians.
I am concerned by the government’s plans to order mass gun prohibitions and confiscations against federally licensed firearm owners.
[You can end there, or add a line to speak from the heart about why firearms, shooting, hunting, collecting, … matter to you, how they enrich your life, about the community and learning, or anything from your personal experience. Keep it positive.]
YOUR FULL NAME
Positive, Polite, Professional
- Keep your message positive, polite and professional.
- We are ambassadors for firearm ownership and the shooting community.
- We don’t want our words to embarrass our community if our MP reads our letter in parliament or on TV.
- Keep it short. Keep it simple. 3-5 sentences is good.
- Personalize the template for your situation and style, and so it doesn’t seem like a form letter.
- Make sure you cc Glen Motz and Pierre Paul-Hus of the Conservative Party, our only federal ally in this fight. They need to see an e-mail tsunami.
- If your MP is Conservative, adapt the tone to send them some luuuv.
- Ministry Comments Suggest 3 Steps for Rifle-Confiscation Order
- Trudeau Promises Mass Gun Bans, Confiscations in Election 2019
- Liberal Gun Bans page at TheGunBlog.ca
Correction: Corrects spelling of Pierre Paul-Hus.
© 2015 - 2020 TheGunBlog.ca