TheGunBlog.ca — A Calgary councillor who wants to expel federally licensed firearm owners is working with the mayor to propose a panel to study “gun violence,” a favourite phrase of anti-gun activists.
Councillor George Chahal and Mayor Naheed Nenshi are proposing a Public Safety Task Force on the matter, according to a new notice of motion for the Jan. 21 meeting of the City of Calgary’s Priorities & Finance Committee.
First Step to Confiscation?
The document was reported earlier today by Dennis Young, an independent researcher who asked if it could be a first step to new bans.
“The City of Calgary should work with its public and private partners, including but not limited to: the federal and provincial governments, CPS, school boards, schools, teachers, parents, law abiding gun owners, and citizens to tackle the escalating issues of gun violence,” the motion said.
Chahal the Prohibitionist
Chahal said in October he would submit a motion after the federal election of Oct. 21 to ban handguns from federally licensed owners, CBC News reported at the time.
Everyone is banned already from buying, selling or having any gun unless they have a firearm Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) authorized by the federal police.
Today I called for tougher action to curb gun violence in Calgary. It is time to come together with other levels of government to make a meaningful impact on reducing gun violence! Thank you @kenthehr and @JoshNgKamstra for helping this cause.#cdnpoli #yyc #yyccc #yycsafe pic.twitter.com/eeNXUdZenx
— George Chahal (@ChahalGeorge) October 3, 2019
More Canadian Than Hockey
Hunting and sport shooting are at the heart of Canadian culture, heritage and tradition.
- More Canadian adults have a PAL than play golf or hockey.
- About 2.2 million men and women have the permits, including roughly 60,000 in Calgary.
- Millions more family and friends of all ages also hunt and shoot safely and responsibly under the control of permit holders.
PAL Holder Silence
Firearm users have so far remained largely silent against the rising hostility and harassment from politicians seeking to criminalize honest citizens.
Fewer than 5% of PAL holders have signed a petition against Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau’s plans to order mass gun confiscations.
Many permit holders voted for Trudeau’s Liberal Party in the October election, or for smaller parties that led to Trudeau’s re-election.
Terms of Reference
Chahal and Nenshi’s proposal aims to set the terms of reference for the task force by March 16.
The text of the motion doesn’t mention expelling licensed firearm owners or confiscating their gear.
Trudeau Mass Confiscations
Trudeau was re-elected after promising measures for municipalities to expel handgun owners by prohibiting their gear.
He’s also preparing to order national mass confiscations of hunting and sporting rifles from safe and responsible PAL holders. Refusing the surrender order could lead to jail.
Calgary has the highest density of licensed firearm users among Canada’s largest cities.
Notice of Motion
Updates on Jan. 21
If you want to stop increasing gun crime, the answer is cracking down on criminals and gangs, not punishing law-abiding gun owners. pic.twitter.com/x5Z39r8FrC
— Jason Kenney 🇺🇦🇨🇦 (@jkenney) January 22, 2020
- CTV News Calgary: Kenney Says Gun Bans Won’t Reduce Crime
- Calgary Herald: Calgary Councillor Gondek Questions New Task Force Proposal
- Calgary Police Chief Doesn’t Back Handgun Bans: Calgary Herald
- Alberta Passes Motion to Support Hunters and Sport Shooters
- Alberta to Study Naming Its Own Chief Firearms Officer: Kenney
- ‘Gun Violence’ and Other Phrases Smart Shooters Never Use
- Calgary City Council Video (26 Nov 2019): Calgary Police comments on ineffectiveness and politics of gun bans (1:42:30)