Trudeau Says Election Plan Against Gun Owners Is Coming
TheGunBlog.ca — Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said today he will present his Liberal Party’s new proposals against firearm owners when he campaigns for re-election in October on “strengthening gun control.”
He didn’t mention his June plan for the largest single gun bans in Canadian history if he wins.
Trudeau promises to make gun control a top election issue https://t.co/SOVTHXUnGk @GlobePolitics pic.twitter.com/3qI3IBltbk
— The Globe and Mail (@globeandmail) August 13, 2019
- Via The Globe and Mail: “We look forward to the next time that Parliament is sitting – hopefully under a Liberal government – where we will be able to introduce further measures to strengthen measures against guns.”
- Via CityNews Toronto: “We know that there is more to do. That’s why we look forward to putting forward a plan that will continue to invest in controlling our guns and keeping our communities safer. And that’s exactly the thing we’re going to move forward with on a stronger mandate.”
- Via CBC News: Trudeau said the Liberal election proposals will include “strengthening gun control.”
- Trudeau’s comments came in part from answering questions at a media briefing today in Toronto about Mayor John Tory’s call to ban federally licensed handgun owners.
- (All guns are banned already for everyone unless they have a firearm licence authorized by the federal police. About 2.2 million men and women have a permit.)
Background: Massive Gun Bans
- Bill Blair, Trudeau’s minister for gun bans, in June promised the largest single firearm confiscations in Canadian history if the Liberals are re-elected.
- They plan to seize and destroy about 200,000 rifles and/or shotguns, including so-called “Non-restricted” models, then pass new laws against handgun owners and people who keep firearms at home.
- More Info: Liberal Gun Ban