“… influential …”
—Tim Harper, Toronto Star
“… prominent … ”
“… outstanding …”
—Owner of one of Canada’s largest independent gun shops
- Is owned and published by Nicolas Johnson from Toronto, Canada.
- Is independent and unaffiliated, with input from advisors and experts across Canada.
- Main Media
- TheGunBlog.ca website
- TheGunBlog.ca e-newsletters
- Books, as co-author (Amazon Bestsellers)
- 2019: Canadian Gun Owners Guide to Election 2019
- 2018: The Bill C-71 Book
- More About the TheGunBlog.ca
- Members FAQ
- Reader Comments
- In the Media: List of other media who quote or mention us
- Disclosures on ethics, interests and payments: see below.
- Read Nicolas’s feature interview with U.S. Firearms News (May 2020)
- Watch Nicolas’s interview with Omni TV (August 2019)
- 2019: Code of Arms TV: TACCOM Media Award
- 2020: National Firearms Association, Des Keddie Memorial Award for Rights in Reporting
About Nicolas Johnson
- 2015: Started TheGunBlog.ca
- 2014: Ran as a candidate for the Ontario legislature (Queen’s Park)
- 2011 – 2012: Stint at The Globe and Mail – Report on Business, Toronto
- 1999 – 2011: Financial reporter and editor with Bloomberg News in Europe (based in Paris) and Asia (based in Tokyo)
- Degrees from Queen’s University in Canada (1993, Politics), and the Sorbonne in France (1998, Philosophy of Technology)
Trusted and Recommended
See more Reader Comments
Allan Harding, three-time Canadian national pistol champion
Lynda Kiejko, 2016 Olympic pistol shooter
Ethics, Interests, Payments and Privacy
This Update: 08 September 2020
- We do our utmost to provide good (accurate and beneficial) ideas and information.
- We are committed to independence, accuracy, credibility, fairness, transparency and other values of journalism ethics.
- Nothing on this website constitutes legal advice, tactical advice or any other advice.
Independence, Alignment of Interests
- We choose what we publish. Nobody pays us or directs us to publish anything.
- The owner is a past, present or future customer, member, donor or supporter of many of the businesses, associations, political parties and political candidates that we write about, e.g. gun stores, manufacturers, clubs, trainers, ranges, CSSA, CCFR, NFA, SFC, NRA, Conservative Party of Canada, Ontario Progressive Conservative Party, …
- Update 27 July 2020: The editor has donated to court challenges against the Canadian government’s 01 May 2020 mass confiscations.
- Update 08 September 2020: Gun shops consult with us on messaging, branding and strategic communication.
- The editor doesn’t have any financial or other interest in any business, organization or topic that we cover, beyond wanting a strong and profitable firearm industry and shooting community.
- We seek payments through subscriptions/memberships and donations.
- We receive payments and donations from individuals, businesses, associations, etc. that we write about. In most cases, we don’t know the identity or affiliations of supporting members.
- The editor gets paid to speak at gun clubs, associations, and other places. He also speaks for free.
- We earn a commission from the TheGunBlog.ca Store if you use our links to buy products from Amazon or Cabela’s Canada.
- Update 22 October 2018: The editor has a complimentary membership from a target range.
- Update 09 June 2019: The editor has a complimentary subscription to a newspaper.
- Update 27 July 2020: The editor has a a complimentary membership to a shooting club.
Benefits as Media
- We benefit from advantages generally accorded to media, such as invitations and permissions to attend private events. These include trade shows, factory tours and range events that may offer the use of guns and ammo without charge or for a small fee, and may include meals.
- We have accepted standard trade-show swag of nominal value, such as pens, pins, keychains, baseball caps, coffee mugs, coasters, a book and a paper target.