“I read every word you publish.”
—Sales manager for a major independent Canadian firearm retailer
“… influential …”
—Tim Harper, Toronto Star
“Congratulations on an excellent website!”
—Director of parliamentary affairs for a Canadian senator
“… prominent … ”
- The personal website of Nicolas Johnson (me). It is independent and unaffiliated.
It also happens to be:
- Canada’s leading media on gun rights, gun politics, gun policy and the firearm industry.
- One of the largest and most-engaged communities of Canadian Gunnies on Twitter via @TheGunBlog. See my Twitter polls here and here.
- A remarkable success of effective advocacy through independent citizen journalism and publishing. (See Advocacy Journalism, Sue Careless’s 2000 address to the Canadian Association of Journalists. Some people might call our work “solutions journalism.”)
Great day at the range with the guy who introduced me to shooting four decades ago.
We fired semi-auto rifles and pistols with standard-capacity box magazines of 10 rounds and up. (Some of the mags were sabotaged for Canada.)
— TheGunBlog (@TheGunBlog) March 22, 2019
TheGunBlog.ca inspires, informs and makes change happen.
- RCMP Website on Bill C-71
- RCMP Corrects Website to Say We Can Buy Guns Without Showing PAL
- CBC Briefly Pulls ‘Guns in Canada 101’ Video to Fix a Few Errors
- Three Top Cops Don’t Support Banning Guns From Lawful Owners: Shaped the agenda for politicians, media and individuals. e.g. NRA TV, Members of Parliament (here, here) Twitter, …
- Memes and digital posters shared hundreds of thousands of times on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram …
- The Bill C-71 Book: Co-written with the Canadian Shooting Sports Association. Shared by Ministry of Public Safety, quoted and referenced by Members of Parliament and Senators. Promoted by industry, shooting clubs, and more.
The Bill C-71 Book: ‘A Must Read’
Shaping the Debate: TheGunBlog.ca Is Trusted and Quoted.
- Members of Parliament and Senators, and Their Staff: Act on our reporting, quote or mention us in their speeches, reference us in their e-mails.
- Government Staff: Distribute our reports and invite us to closed meetings.
- Federal Agencies: Change their practices/communications as a result of our reporting.
- Media: Quote us as an authoritative and reliable source of information and opinion (See below.) Consult us for background information and context.
- Gun Industry, Shooting Clubs, Target Ranges: Recommend and use our publications. Rely on us to share their point of view.
- Athletes and Competitors: Count on us to report their victories and save their sport.
- Concerned Individuals: Rely on us for information and inspiration.
Team Canada Shooters Value Our Coverage
TheGunBlog.ca in the Media
- CBC Radio Saskatchewan: Blue Sky
- Radio Canada International: The Gun Debate in Canada: Where Lies Truth? Part 1
- The Canadian Press via
- CityNews Toronto: Gun Policy a Stand-In for Other Issues in Crowded Conservative Leadership Race
- CTV News: Gun-Rights Advocates React to Toronto’s Call for a Handgun Ban
- Global News: Gun Policy a Stand-In for Other Issues in Crowded Conservative Leadership Race
- The Globe and Mail: Call for Toronto handgun ban reignites passionate gun control debate
- National Post: Call for Toronto handgun ban reignites passionate gun control debate
- Red Deer Advocate: Call for Toronto handgun ban reignites passionate gun control debate
- Toronto Star: Call for Toronto handgun ban after Danforth shooting reignites passionate gun control debate
- Winnipeg Free Press: Call for Toronto handgun ban reignites passionate gun control debate
- CityNews Toronto
- The Daily Caller
- The Economist
- The Globe and Mail
- The Rebel Media
- The True North Initiative
- Saskatoon StarPhoenix
- Toronto Star
- Canadian Shooting Sports Association: Regularly featured in E-News
- National Firearms Association: Regularly at the top of the Daily Media Report
- Calibre Magazine
- U.S. National Rifle Association (NRA) News, NRA-ILA
- Bearing Arms
- The Firearm Blog
- Chat Groups: Canadian Gun Nutz, Gun Owners of Canada, Reddit.com/r/CanadaGuns, Glock Talk, Army.ca, Navy.ca, Nova Scotia Hunting, Outdoors Men Forum, …
Lady Gaga Fan Sites (Seriously!)
Original Introduction (January 2015)
TheGunBlog.ca aims to be a hub for information, facts, data, news, analysis and opinion for anyone and everyone wanting to learn about guns in Canada. It seeks to be thoughtful, fair, balanced and fun.
Whether you love guns or hate them or are in between, whether you are a novice or expert with firearms, whether you want to learn about guns for collecting, hunting, competing, relaxing, training, writing, photographing, defence, war, work, fun, as a hobby or lifestyle, or anything else, TheGunBlog.ca aims to serve you.
If you like this blog, please share it with people who might enjoy it.
Thank you for visiting.
04 January 2015
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
About the Editor
- Has been into guns since he was a boy.
- Enjoys handguns, rifles and shotguns.
- Supports freedom and rights of people to own and use firearms for protection, hunting, recreation, competition and collecting.
- Has a particular interest in politics, policy and personal protection.
- Says: The most important part of gun rights isn’t “gun,” it’s “rights.”
- Is closer to believing that firearm ownership and training should be mandatory than to believing it should be prohibited. But dislikes “mandatory” anything.
- Current or past member of Canadian Association of Journalists (CAJ), Canadian Coalition for Firearm Rights (CCFR), Canadian Shooting Sports Association (CSSA), National Firearms Association (NFA), Shooting Federation of Canada (SFC), U.S. National Rifle Association (NRA).
- Certified range-safety officer.
- NRA certified instructor.
- Career in journalism, media and publishing for more than 20 years, mainly for a major global media company.
- Ran as a political candidate.
Some of My Other Interests
- Living bliss (love, kindness, fulfilment, authenticity, joy, …). It’s a work in progress.
- Creative expression, authentic communication, doing work that matters. Strongly inspired by Seth Godin. One of my most rewarding activities besides running this website is teaching and running workshops.
- Journalism, media, independent publishing, entrepreneurship, social movements, leadership, political philosophy, risk.
- The “liberty vs. security” debate: protecting civil liberties as we protect innocent life from potential and actual violence, from random street crime to terrorism to war.
- Avoiding and recovering from crisis and collapse (emergency management, disaster preparedness, business continuity, crisis communication, system fragility, …). Improving how we think about low-probability, high-impact events. Strongly inspired by two events: (1) covering the global financial crisis of 2007-2010 in real-time as a financial journalist. (2) Living and working in Japan during the March 2011 earthquake + tsunami + Fukushima nuclear meltdown, and then evacuating.
TheGunBlog.ca Is Also
- A trusted source of exclusive news, original analysis and intelligent commentary.
- A strong community of Canadians who care deeply about our rights and our responsibilities. For many of us, this goes way beyond “gun rights.” It’s about our deepest values, liberty, dignity, culture, politics, democracy … and the direction of our country.
- A remarkable success of digital journalism, advocacy and influence on the most controversial and polarizing technology available to individuals.
- Thought leadership on how we think about and talk about: guns, freedom, rights, responsibility, intent, agency, ethics, regulation, legislation, safety, security, defence, protection, force, violence, attacks, danger, risk, threats, crime, terrorism, targets, victims, policing, symbols, technology, weapons, and more.
- A valuable repository of original data and research for policymakers, journalists, academics and industry.
- We’re present but not active on YouTube, Instagram @TheGunBlog.ca and Facebook.
This Update: 03 January 2019
Alignment of Interests, Independence, Standards
- I do my utmost to provide good ideas and information.
- Nothing on this website constitutes legal advice, tactical advice or any other advice.
- I am a past, present or future customer or member of many of the businesses, associations and political parties that I write about, e.g. gun stores, manufacturers, clubs, trainers, ranges, CSSA, CCFR, NFA, NRA, SFC, Conservative Party of Canada, Ontario Progressive Conservative Party, …
- Update 03 Jan 2019: I decide what gets published, nobody else. I have preferred products, but I don’t run annoying or disruptive ads. I don’t run ads or “sponsored content” disguised as news.
- I am committed to independence, accuracy, credibility, fairness, transparency, accountability, and other values of journalism ethics.
- Update 03 Jan 2019: I recognize that trust is hard to win and easy to lose. I want to keep your trust.
Payments, Donations and Ads
- I solicit donations and payments.
- I receive donations and payments from individuals, businesses, associations, etc. that I write about. In most cases, I don’t know or verify the identity or the affiliations of donors.
- I earn a commission from the Store.
- Update 22 Oct 2018: I have a complimentary membership from a target range.
- Update 03 Jan. 2019: I haven’t run any ads or sponsorships, but it’s something I may experiment with soon. If I run ads, it would be with brands and people I trust, and it would be done in a way that respects the values, principles and design of this website. So no pop-ups and flashing lights.
Role as Media
- I benefit from advantages generally accorded to media, such as invitations and permissions to attend private events. These include trade shows, factory tours and range events that offer the use of guns and ammo without charge, or for a small fee, and may include meals.
- I don’t have any direct financial stake or financial interest in any company, association or topic that I cover.
- I am a past, present or future member of political parties. See above.
- I have accepted standard trade-show swag, such as pens, pins, keychains, coffee mugs, coasters, a book and a paper target.
Privacy & Security
- I value personal privacy and information security.
- If you e-mail me, I consider it private and confidential. I expect the same consideration from you.
- I will never sell, share, rent or abuse your personal information. In most cases, I will never ask for it.
- I use subscriber information to share information relevant and related to TheGunBlog.ca, such as e-mail notifications about new posts or campaigns, and related news.
- I recognize that risks always exist, and I use third-party software (e.g. Gmail, GiveWP, MailChimp, Paypal, Stripe, WordPress, several WordPress plugins, …) to manage subscriptions and donations.
Subscribing & Unsubscribing
- Enter your e-mail in the subscription box.
- MailChimp (my mailing list software) will send you an automatic e-mail to confirm your subscription. (Check your Spam folder.)
- You can unsubscribe at any time.
© 2019 TheGunBlog.ca