List of Canada’s Federal Gun Laws and Regulations
27 February 2020
2 min read
TheGunBlog.ca — Having and using guns in Canada is hyper-regulated by about 24 federal laws and regulations, plus many more provincial and municipal restrictions.
- Below is the list of federal regulations based mostly on the Firearms Act and Criminal Code.
- SOR = Statutory Orders and Regulations
- Excluded: The list doesn’t include any of the numerous provincial and municipal laws or regulations, such as for ammunition, hunting, businesses, and target ranges.
Why It Matters
- Complex: The laws are so complex, convoluted and confusing that they overwhelm many lawyers, judges and private firearm users.
- Costly: Developing, adopting and enforcing all the rules costs hundreds of millions of dollars every year, with little or no evidence of benefit. TheGunBlog.ca asked the Department of Justice and the Royal Canadian Mounted Police for any evaluations or audits of the legislative and policy framework. None were provided.
- Criminalizing: Millions of safe and responsible hunters, farmers, ranchers, plinkers, competitors, gun collectors and business owners live under the constant threat of jail for the slightest misstep, such as missing a document or missing a renewal deadline.
Main Federal Laws
Regulations Made Under the Criminal Code
- Antique Firearms, Regulations Prescribing
- Designated Areas Firearms Order
- Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and Other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited, Restricted or Non-Restricted
- Regulations Prescribing Exclusions from Certain Definitions of the Criminal Code (International Sporting Competition Handguns) (SOR/98-465) (TheGunBlog.ca added this item to the list on 29 April 2021.)
Regulations Made Under the Firearms Act
- Aboriginal Peoples of Canada Adaptations Regulations (Firearms)
- Authorizations to Carry Restricted Firearms and Certain Handguns Regulations
- Authorizations to Transport Restricted Firearms and Prohibited Firearms Regulations
- Conditions of Transferring Firearms and Other Weapons Regulations
- Firearms Fees Regulations
- Firearms Information Regulations (Non-restricted Firearms)
- Firearms Licences Regulations
- Firearms Marking Regulations [Not in force]
- Firearms Records Regulations
- Firearms Records Regulations (Classification)
- Firearms Registration Certificates Regulations
- Importation and Exportation of Firearms Regulations (Businesses) [Not in force]
- Importation and Exportation of Firearms Regulations (Individuals)
- Public Agents Firearms Regulations
- Shooting Clubs and Shooting Ranges Regulations
- Special Authority to Possess Regulations (Firearms Act)
- Storage, Display and Transportation of Firearms and Other Weapons by Businesses Regulations
- Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals Regulations
Regulations Made Under the Export and Import Permits Act
© 2015 - 2021 TheGunBlog.ca