Gun Policies of Conservative Party Leadership Candidates (1)
3 Dec 2016
This is a collection of policies and statements by candidates running for the leadership of the Conservative Party of Canada about the legal possession and use of firearms, as well as the party’s own policy. Party members are scheduled to elect the next leader in May 2017.
Each candidate’s comments were copied from their websites.
Updates will be published as often as practicable.
- Introducing the Gun Owners’ Charter of Rights in order to end the persecution of law abiding hunters, farmers and sports shooters. Furthermore, an ombudsman will be appointed to enforce the charter and address complaints from gun owners;
- Adding the option of extending the renewal time of a Possession and Acquisition Licence (PAL) to 10 years instead of 5, as was recently done with passport renewals, with a one year grace period to legally renew the licence without penalty;
- Streamlining the firearms classification system by adopting the Simplified Classification System as adopted by the members of the Conservative Party of Canada at the 2016 Vancouver National Convention;
- Transferring control of the Canadian Firearm Program from the RCMP directly to the Ministry of Public Safety in order to avoid conflicts of interest between those administering the program and those enforcing the laws;
- Restore regular service standards for the approval of new firearms for import, which were abolished by the Liberals, in order to ensure a fair process.
I will fight the Liberals and defend law-abiding firearm owners.
As Prime Minister, I will end the politicization of firearms and rollback measures that have no impact on public safety. Within 180 days of forming government, I will overhaul the classification system to ensure that it is clear, fair and has law-abiding firearm owners directly involved in the process. Will you stand with me and support my campaign to lead the Conservative Party by purchasing a membership and making a donation?
Canada is a nation with proud rural and outdoor traditions. Learning to hunt or target shoot with a family member is a way of life for millions of Canadians and must be respected. Firearm owners, be they hunters, farmers or sport shooters are among the most law-abiding citizens in Canada.
As leader of the Conservative Party of Canada, I will:
- Oppose efforts to reverse the former Conservative government’s policy advances on firearms, including new restrictions on transportation and use, which I will repeal within 180 days of forming government.
- Oppose regulations that do not advance public safety and instead penalize law abiding firearm owners. This includes the arbitrary reclassification of firearms and magazines.
As Prime Minister of Canada I will:
- Commission an expert-driven redesign of firearm classification based on a clear legislative definition of the term “variant” in consultation with manufacturers, owners and law enforcement.
- Mandate a return to the 180-day period for the re-designed classification system to release firearm import decisions and put final authority for classification decisions back in the hands of cabinet.
- Focus the resources of the federal government on criminals engaged in the trafficking and use of illegal firearms instead of imposing more layers of bureaucracy on law-abiding Canadians.
- Support specialized illegal firearms enforcement led by the CBSA and RCMP working closely with Immigration & Customs Enforcement (ICE) and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) in the United States, to target smuggling operations before illegal firearms reach the border.
Conservative Party of Canada
A Conservative Government is committed to cost-effective gun control programs designed to keep guns out of the hands of criminals while respecting the rights of law-abiding Canadians to own and use firearms responsibly.
Measures will include: mandatory minimum sentences for the criminal use of firearms; strict monitoring of high-risk individuals; increased enforcement and prosecution of smuggling; safe storage provisions; firearms safety training; a certification screening system for all those wishing to acquire firearms legally; and putting more law enforcement officers on our streets.
We recognize the legitimacy of private ownership of firearms and will resist any domestic or international pressure to the contrary.
A Conservative Government will not deprive Canadian Citizens of legally owned firearms.
A Conservative Government recognizes that civilian firearms ownership is a Canadian Heritage.
A Conservative Government would streamline Firearms classification by adopting the Simplified Classification System.
A Conservative government would order a review of firearms related laws to identify parts of those Acts that have no public safety value.
Protect Your Culture and Your Rights
Sign up for free e-mail updates.
© 2015 - 2020 TheGunBlog.ca