Hipwell Hires Burlew, Seeks $100,000 to Fight Liberal Abuse of Power
TheGunBlog.ca — The founder of one of Canada’s biggest family-owned gun stores hired a leading firearm lawyer to fight the Liberal Party’s May 1 confiscation order, as resistance to a “flagrant abuse of government power” escalates.
John Hipwell, the founder of Wolverine Supplies Ltd., aims to raise $100,000 after hiring Edward Burlew to block the crackdown against safe and responsible hunters, farmers, sport shooters, gun collectors and businesses.
More than 50 people, including the owner of TheGunBlog.ca, donated over $5,000 through GoFundMe.com as of 4:20 p.m. today in Toronto. Ty Lobreau, Wolverine’s sales manager, started the fundraiser around mid-day. (Click the image at the top to donate.)
Why It Matters
- Hipwell, based in Virden, Manitoba, is at least the sixth individual or group preparing to challenge the Liberal attack against Canada’s 2.2 million federally licensed firearm users and 4,400 businesses.
- The confiscation decree, drafted in secret with the federal police, was published May 1 as a so-called “Order in Council” (OIC) that violates fundamental principles of ethics, justice, the rule of law and parliamentary democracy.
- It’s one of the largest crackdowns against honest citizens by any democracy in history.
From Hipwell’s GoFundMe page for the judicial challenge:
This Liberal OIC was conceived and signed in secret behind locked doors. There was no opportunity for Parliamentary debate, this was a flagrant abuse of Government power and is extremely disturbing, what next? This OIC was not evidence based and does nothing to make our streets safer and keep firearms out of the hands of gangs and thugs. This OIC only attacks law abiding legitimate licensed gun owners.
We are looking for firearm owners who use the Weatherby .460 or a rifle chambered in .50 BMG for hunting Grizzly Bears, Walrus or Narwhals in Canada. Also, anyone who uses a Mini 14 or Mini 30 for hunting or predator control, or an AR15 for competition in Canada. Above and beyond this any firearm that has been affected by the OIC that you have purchased, owned, and operated legally for years. If you are one of these people and you are willing to provide a signed affidavit and testify in court if required please e-mail your details to me [email protected] I must have a commitment from you this week. Please make your subject line Judicial Review of OIC.
Even by sharing this as much as you can is a great benefit to the cause, even if you are unable to financially support this, having a voice behind it helps as well!
Source: John Hipwell’s GoFundMe page, 25 May 2020
The federal government didn’t respond to an invitation from TheGunBlog.ca to comment.
Opposition is rising to the Liberal plans to weaken citizens, cripple the firearm industry and kill modern shooting sports.
Everyone from provincial premiers to police to the public are standing up to defend honest men and women.
- Saskatchewan Minister of Justice Don Morgan said today the province may sue the federal government over the confiscation order, CJME radio reported.
- Police, many of whom own personal firearms in addition to their duty gear, are denouncing the unjustified Liberal assault and pledging to refuse to enforce it.
- A petition to stop the Liberals has more than 210,000 signatures, by far the No. 1 e-petition in House of Commons history. It has more than three months to go.
Read and Share:https://t.co/rHjaVE8i2w
— TheGunBlog (@TheGunBlog) May 25, 2020
- RCMP Says Over 100,000 Gun Owners May Be Target of Confiscation
- Solomon Friedman Files First Lawsuit Against Liberal Gun Confiscations
- J.R. Cox Raises $60,000 in 4 Days to Fight Liberal Gun-Ban Order
- Liberal Gun Bans page at TheGunBlog.ca
- See our coverage of gun bans
Correction: Corrects first bullet point under Why It Matters to say Hipwell is leading the action.
© 2015 - 2022 TheGunBlog.ca