Why the Conservative Leadership Race Matters to Gun Owners
13 February 2020
2 min read
Note: I am personally supporting a candidate. See Personal Disclosure below.
- The Conservative Party of Canada is the only major federal party standing in the way of mass confiscations targeting safe and responsible gun owners.
- Today they are with us sometimes, but they haven’t always been on our side.
- Every other major party actively (and sometimes aggressively) campaigns for mass prohibitions, confiscations or restrictions against safe and responsible firearm users.
- Love ’em or hate ’em, today the Conservatives are our best (only) hope.
- The Conservative leader is important to us, as a potential ally of gun owners and sound policy, and as our potential prime minister.
House of Commons — MPs as of 13 Feb. 2020
- 121 Friendly
- 121: Conservative Party
- 1: Independent (Former Liberal, Jody Wilson-Raybould)
- 216 Hostile
- 157: Liberal Party
- 32: Bloc Québécois
- 24: New Democratic Party
- 3: Green Party
Which Candidate Is Best for Gun Owners
- Too early to tell.
- The three approved applicants so far have all made encouraging comments about respect for firearm users, and been critical of the governing Liberal Party’s plans to order mass confiscation.
- TheGunBlog.ca will evaluate the top candidates based on their firearm policies.
- A lot of other important things matter besides firearm policy.
- Official candidates listed here: https://cpc-leadership2020.ca/candidates/
- Approved Applicants as of 13 Feb. 2020
- Leslyn Lewis
- Peter MacKay
- Erin O’Toole
Can They Win Against Trudeau
- It isn’t enough to win the Conservative leadership.
- We also need to consider if they can win the next Canadian general election, probably against Justin Trudeau.
What You Should Do
- Join or renew your Conservative Party membership.
- Support candidate(s) you like, sign up for their e-mail list.
- Vote in the leadership election.
- Election: 27 June
What Happened Last Time
- Most licensed firearm owners didn’t participate in the 2017 Conservative leadership election that saw Andrew Scheer sneak past Maxime Bernier for the win.
- Fewer than 7% of PAL/RPAL holders got involved. Possibly a lot fewer.
- Erin O’Toole is the only approved applicant at the moment who also ran last time.
- From March 2017: Erin O’Toole Pledges to Scrap Canada Firearms Act if Elected PM
- I am personally (not as TheGunBlog.ca) supporting a candidate.
- I am a member of the Conservative Party.
- TheGunBlog.ca may reflect my personal views.
© 2015 - 2021 TheGunBlog.ca