Canada Gun Rights News: Week of 2023 January 23
- All Week: House of Commons is on break until 30 January 2023.
- Monday 23 – Wednesday 25 January: Liberal Party Leader Justin Trudeau meets with his cabinet.
- His statement doesn’t mention guns.
- Friday 03 February, 08:45 Ottawa Time: SECU (House of Commons Standing Committee on Public Safety and National Security) resumes its review of Bill C-21.
Analysis: Bill C-21 Will Become Law in 2023, Expanding Mass Gun Confiscations
23 January 2023
- What: The Liberals and their NDP-Bloc Québécois-Green Party allies will pass Bill C-21 into law in 2023.
- Why It Matters
- For Our Beliefs: Many gun owners believe we can stop Bill C-21 from becoming law.
- For Our Guns: This will solidify and expand the rifle and shotgun confiscations Prime Minister Justin Trudeau ordered in May 2020, and the handgun confiscations he began in October 2022.
- The bill invents a definition of always “Prohibited” rifles and shotguns (any semi-auto model that can accept detachable mags).
- The proposed amendment to vastly expand the rifle and shotgun confiscations may or may not be included. It’s still under debate.
- Process: Bill C-21 is currently being reviewed by the House of Commons Standing Committee on Public Safety and National Security (SECU). After SECU approves it, the bill will go to a Senate committee for review. Then it will go back to the House of Commons for so-called “third reading,” and then finally to the Governor General to be signed into law.
- The Liberals control SECU with a majority of votes.
- The Liberals control the Senate, with most senators pro-Liberal most of the time.
Spring 2023 Election Unlikely (Speculation)
23 January 2023
- The Liberals may want to avoid an election anytime soon, since opinion polls show them behind the Conservatives. (Both in popular vote and seat projections.)
- The NDP bark, without any bite. They criticize the Liberals (on gun confiscations, medical-system collapse, …), but lack the funds to run a strong campaign.
- Source: My recent conversation with a House of Commons staffer for a Conservative MP.
- Also: Politics is full of surprises. Things are rarely as they appear. Predictions are risky.
Update January 24
- “I don’t think any Canadian wants to see us plunge back into an election,” Liberal Leader Justin Trudeau said in a radio interview that aired January 24.
- Source: 2023 Election? Trudeau Says No One Wants ‘Plunge’ Into Campaign (Corus Entertainment Inc.’s Global News)
Government Contracts & Grants
- Contract Date: 22 November 2022 (but published online this week)
- Contract Period: Aug 14, 2019 – Apr 28, 2023
- Additional Comments: Canadian Firearms Program (CFP) Mental Health Risk Assessment Model
Other Gun Media
- Twitter, By Jordan Vanderhoff
- 23 January 2023
- Key Quote: “I have decided to step away from the NFA. I will continue advocating for firearm rights! Looking forward to my next chapter …”
- CBC News
- 24 January 2023
- Canadian Coalition for Firearm Rights
- 26 January 2023
TheGunBlog.ca is the go-to source for Canada’s gun owners and industry.
Sign up to support our work and get full access to our premium reports.
TheGunBlog.ca is a leading voice for gun owners.
Get our free updates.
© 2015 - 2023 TheGunBlog.ca